Plan & Prepare
First Things First
- Appoint a ‘lead’ emergency planner in your team.
- Find out where your mains water is connected.
- Find your electricity control box and gas shut-off valve (if you have one).
- Document your emergency plan. Put a copy with your emergency kit and in a readily accessible emergency folder at reception.
- Create an emergency evacuation plan and post it where it is visible to all.
- Run an emergency drill with all the team at least once a year.
Several years ago we visited practices and pharmacies to talk about the ‘LEG’ concept – Local Emergency Group. Every general practice and community pharmacy are grouped in geographically appropriate groups across the region. The intention is these LEGs will work together in an emergency to look after their communities.