Plan & Prepare
First Things First
- Appoint a ‘lead’ emergency planner in your team.
- Find out where your mains water is connected.
- Find your electricity control box and gas shut-off valve (if you have one).
- Document your emergency plan. Put a copy with your emergency kit and in a readily accessible emergency folder at reception.
- Create an emergency evacuation plan and post it where it is visible to all.
- Run an emergency drill with all the team at least once a year.
Business Continuity Plan
- Create a business continuity plan and make it available to staff.
- Ensure staff contact details are up-to-date. Update these details at least twice a year. Save numbers in your cell phone directory.
- Compile a list of key emergency contacts in your area with their physical address, email, land line and cell phone number. Update this list at least twice a year. Include suppliers and contractors.
- Who is in your Local Emergency Group (LEG)? See the list below. These are the teams that can help you in an emergency, or who may call on you for help.
- As a starting point, download the General Practice or Pharmacy Be Prepared plans (see below).
- Keep an electronic copy of all staff and emergency contacts on the front desk computer and on a flash drive (memory stick). Keep up-to-date printed copies in the emergency kit, near the designated lead emergency planner in your office, and in the emergency folder.
Equipment and Supplies
- List essential supplies to be readily available for use in the practice or pharmacy, or which can be taken to an alternate site for basic business operations.
- Download an emergency kit list for General Practice or Pharmacy (see Be Prepared plans).
- Consider whether you need to purchase and maintain a generator. What services do you think you’ll be supplying in an emergency?
- Keep cell phones charged.
- Supply all staff with a small penlight to put on their keychain and locate torches throughout the building.
- Back up your computer weekly or daily (according to your usual schedule). If you need help with this, contact your IT supplier.
- Keep a backup copy off site.
- Install server shadow software – contact your usual IT supplier for support if needed.
- Be Prepared Emergency Plan (General Practice)
- Be Prepared Emergency Plan (Community Pharmacy)
- Business Continuity Plan for Primary Care 2017
- Business Continuity Plan for Community Pharmacy 2017
- Local Emergency Group (LEG) Allocation